- GW Home
- About GW
- University Life
- News & Events
- Faculty And Staff
“We continue to engage the world from this nation’s capital.” –President Steven Knapp
The George Washington University location in the heart of the nation’s capital affords unique opportunities to develop partnerships with the surrounding governmental and non-governmental organizations.
These partnerships strengthen everything that the university does, from research initiatives to teaching activities to service to the university. Providing students with the opportunity to work alongside such partners has long been a hallmark of the George Washington experience. At the same time, GW has an institutional opportunity to play a role in the ongoing renaissance of the remarkable city that is its home.
Under the leadership of President Knapp, recent partnerships include:
- A unique affiliation that will bring one of the world’s foremost specialized museums, The Textile Museum, to a new George Washington University Museum, which also will house the Albert H. Small Washingtoniana Collection and the Center for National Capital Area Studies,
- An extension and expansion of a 100-year partnership with the Smithsonian Institution that gives students and faculty unprecedented access to the world’s largest museum complex, providing for a collaborative program in museum studies, graduate museum training programs, a joint fund for shared scholarly projects, and broader relationships between the Smithsonian and a growing number of departments within the university community,
- An award-winning collaboration with the Greater Washington Urban League to support the League’s efforts to address health disparities, educate future leaders and create jobs,
- A partnership with the groundbreaking political website and newspaper POLITICO to conduct the nationally recognized bipartisan George Washington University Battleground Poll, now renamed the POLITICO-George Washington University Battleground Poll, and
- A three-year collaboration with the Phillips Collection, America’s first museum of modern art, to offer modern art and art history courses, internships and post-doctoral fellowships.